Monday, June 27, 2011

The Pony.

Enter the Dundysaurus Rex. Also known as "Dundy," "Dunda-roo" (said in the same fashion as "Figarooooo"), and when we're fancy, "Maybe This Time." The current equine love of my life, who appeared one day in our barn about 3 years ago. I say appeared because Shelly forgot to tell me that there was a new boarder coming in, so I walked in one day and there was this huge freak-show of a horse spinning circles in his stall. It was not love at first sight. I honestly found him annoying, as his stall was located right next to the ring entrance and he'd pin his ears at everyone who went by and enjoyed running his teeth along the wall. The only redeeming qualities were that he was big and grey (I'm a sucker).

The following spring I lost Dunn in a pasture accident, which pretty much sent me into an emotional freakout. I Then Nylar contracted EPM in early June, and I spent 6 weeks on a roller coaster before finally having to make the decision to euthanize him. At that point I was exhausted, an emotional trainwreck, and contemplating life without horses for a while. But I still had to work, so one day that August I was standing next to Shelly watching Madison walk Dundy in circles. And then he picked up a trot and I looked at Shelly and told her that I was booting the kids off him, he was mine. And I will be forever grateful that I had a camera the first time I got to canter him, that video makes me smile every time I see it. (Trotting Dundy, not so fun. Cantering Dundy - best thing EVER)

And so for almost 2 years, he's been mine (the best sort - the farm actually owns him). I have learned to attach my butt to my saddle on the approach to a fence and "ride like a German" so that I don't get launched (Dundy does not suffer fools over fences, or a half-seat position). Dundy has learned that perhaps SOMETIMES he can help a girl out when the distance isn't perfect, even if the jump is big. And we both have mellowed ourselves out emotionally - he still pins his ears at the horses in the barn, but he also hangs his head over the stall door when he hears me talking in the aisle. I've managed to keep breathing every time he comes in a little lame from being too rowdy with his boys in the field, and just roll my eyes when he stresses himself into a frenzy over something.

And now Dundy is teaching me dressage. Which will be documented via photos on Facebook thanks to one of my teenagers and her really nice camera. Once I've sorted it all in my head I'll blog about the struggle to switch from 21 years of hunters into something that passes as not embarrassing at dressage, but right now it's mostly Shelly yelling at me to shorten my reins so it's not particularly entertaining to the non-horsey set.

No comments:

Post a Comment