Wednesday, May 25, 2011

How I got here

I never thought about doing anything other than horses professionally. I knew at 18 that I could ride and teach lessons, so I skipped over the whole concept that college is where you find yourself and what you want to be when you grow up. (It turned out well in that regard seeing as how college was the low point of my life and quite easily could have killed my love of horses entirely. We'll save those stories for another time.)

However there is one thing that teenage Ellen didn't really understand: the horse industry will not make you rich. Starting a program from scratch will in fact qualify you for welfare for many years, unless you have amazing parents (thankfully I do). However, unless you're a trust fund baby or something of that nature, becoming a financially responsible adult eventually has to become a priority. So about this time 2 years ago, I realized that it was time to grow up, move out of my parents' house, and get a job that would pay the bills.

It's hard to convince someone that you're qualified to do anything when your resume pretty much says "been mucking stalls and riding since college" especially in a crappy job market. So after much stress on my part, a friend called and said she was leaving her job and she'd told her boss (her uncle) that he needed to hire me. So here I am, 18 months later, reasonably fluent in lawyer and marveling daily at how much fun I think it is to sit in an office. I mean, a flush toilet AND air conditioning/heat? Plus great bosses and an amazing new collection of stories. Dealing with the public can be so very entertaining.

We won't get into exactly how I make everything work schedule-wise and still have time to have a life.

Just refer to the title of this blog to understand how I get it all done.

No comments:

Post a Comment